Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ode to the Best Visiting Teacher/Frustration!

Our little Henri has been sick for almost two weeks now. He has been very congested and is waking up again in the night. For the most part he has still been his cheerful little self, but, of course I worry about him. My friend and neighbor Reba (who is the most awesome visiting teacher EVER!) is a nurse and she came over a few times to check Henri out. She told me to call any time during the day or night. Yesterday she told me that the night before her phone rang at 2 in the morning and she jumped up so fast and ran to the phone because she thought something was wrong with Henri. It turned out to be her mom, who is in Spain and forgot that it was so early. When Reba was telling me the story we were laughing to hard, but now whenever I think of it I want to cry because we have so many people watching out for us. (This, by the way was not the frustrating part of my story.)
Well, going back to Reba helping with Henri: she told me that if certain things happened to take him in. One of those things was inconsolable crying. That happened yesterday. Henri was crying for several hours and so I made an appointment. He then cried for several more hours until the appointment. As I held him I could feel his on his little back that his lungs were rattling and he was so congested. At 4:15 we headed across the street to the Health Center. He literally stopped crying right as we walked out of the door. We got to the doctor's office and I put him down on the examination table and he started smiling and cooing and being his usual cute self. AND, miraculously his congestion: GONE!!! Wow, I felt silly. To make things more embarrassing, the doctor was the same one we saw two weeks ago... and two weeks before that! Well, what can I say, I am a first time mother. The doctor's diagnosis? A viral infection and he is probably teething. Teething at three months!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad Reba's able to help give you advice. It's hard to be the mom and figure out the best thing to do for your baby. How frustrating to have Henri start acting normal right when he's about to get checked out. Hopefully he's doing better.

    ReplyDelete