Monday, February 15, 2010

Henri and Me


I want to write down a little bit about my day to day life hanging out with Henri so I don't forget what kind of baby he is. The other day I was visiting with my neighbor in Sandy, Wendy Morgan. I told her that Henri was a good baby and then when she was talking to him she would say, "No, you aren't a bad baby!" It was so funny because, of course, there aren't really any bad babies, but I must say that Henri is really a very very good baby. This last week he slept through the night three times. This is why I had the energy to make some really yummy Swiss bread called tresse:
No, this isn't really my bread, but it really did look like that. I just didn't really have time to get a picture before all of the loaves were eaten out of. I was pretty happy that it turned out because last year I tried to make it and it failed miserably. I think it turned out better because I have figured out how to use yeast.

Anyway, back to Henri. Last night he went to sleep at 11 and woke up at 7:30. I fed him and put him back down until 10. The sleep felt so good! Henri has been on a pretty strict schedule, which Charles and I have both loved. He eats every three hours and after he eats he is awake for about an hour and then when he starts to get a little fussy we just wrap him up, give him his binky and put him down. Last week he started crying a little bit before his naps, so we had to make a few adjustments, and now he goes down just fine again.

He is pretty funny about going down for a nap when people are over though. I used to think that he couldn't sleep because of the noise, but now I am not so sure if he doesn't just want to be around where the party is. He will usually go be in his crib for a few minutes, but then he lets us know that he wants to come out, so Charles usually gets him and then he will be happy to be out with everyone until he falls asleep in Charles' lap.

When Henri is awake he does not like to cuddle. He is "as stiff as a board." Our friend Reba was holding him a few days ago and she came over and said, "Emily, he doesn't bend! Not even at his hips!" It is true. This is his usual awake position:

He is strong and can really hold himself out like that for several minutes. He likes to practice standing up on our laps and can hold his own weight while we are just helping him for balance. He is definitely a roller: he rolled over when he was four weeks and five days for the first time. Our friend Megan Warren came to visit and asked how he liked "tummy time," and she sat him down on his stomach. Immediately he rolled over. Then she put him back on his tummy and he rolled over the other way. His favorite time to kick is when I am changing his diaper. He smiles and talks to us and just kicks his little feet- it sometimes makes it hard to get a diaper back on.

When is has a full tummy and isn't tired he is so fun to just sit and talk to. He will stick his little tongue out and coo back to you. He started making this noise in his throat that made Charles and I laugh and laugh at. He kept doing it and then would look at us to see our reaction. So funny! He also gives me this very serious face, flexes his whole body, puffs out his little chest and I just feel like he is saying, "Look how strong I am, Mom!" He is usually smiling and has even started to smile when we go in and get him from his nap, or in the morning. I try not to sit and talk to him for too long at those times because it doesn't take him very much time to remember that he is hungry.

He also has a little stubborn side to him. From the first week he was born when I would sit him on my lap to burp him he would squirm for a minute and then push his little legs and arms straight out and "hhhhmmmpphhh!" at the same time. It was so funny. Now, if we don't put him in bed quick enough after he starts fussing he will give us these high pitched squeals. Every time we hear them we can't help but laughing and then Henri will just look at us as if to say, "that was not the reaction that I wanted!"

I love being able to stay with my little Henri. It is so amazing to see his little personality come out and watch him change so quickly. We think he is just the greatest thing! My dad likes to ask me how the cutest little baby that there ever was is doing. It is true: if you give me a minute I will tell you how cute I think little Henri is! We love our little Henri Hope!

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! And I have met some "bad" babies. They're now good kids, but my nephews... oh man. They sure could scream.
    He really is just so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Henri could talk, I'm sure he'd be writing an epistle on how wonderful of parents you are and all the great time you spend with him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He IS sooo sweet! I can't wait to see him again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last picture is precious. You are right there aren't really any bad babies, but there sure are collicky, and ornery, and sleepless babies! you lucky duck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily! We just found your blog and it was so cute to see you and your baby! Email me your email address and I'll add you to my blog. Fun to see you!
    Heidi Broadwater Maxfield
    heidimaxfield at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. can you send some of that bread to me? I'm dying to have some!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Emily, he REALLY is a cute baby. I am not lying to you. I love that picture of him stiff as a board. Dopes he want to come play at our house soon? You guys need to come over. And yes, I think we should live in the same cul de sac when we grow up. That is an awesome plan.

    And I loved your comment about how you were expecting us to be little in the ice skating video! That would make more sense, but no, we're 19 and 15. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete